Monday, August 16, 2010

Baby Spending

I have to admit, before I got pregnant, I made myself a budget for baby things and swore I would stick to it. DH and I saved the money up. I am about 5 months pregnant, and we have spent every dime of the baby fund, but for the most part, I think we are okay and have pretty much stuck to budget (for the most part).
$400 of our baby fund went to medical bills, which was what the insurance company told us it would be. The doctor is paid through the delivery of the baby in January. Any additional bills should be minimal, thankfully. Talking to the insurance company really helped me understand what would be covered and what would not be covered.
My mom bought our crib and changing table for us, which I really appreciated! That cut down a lot of the nursery expense for us. DH and I have spent about $250 on things for the baby. We got an awesome pack n play for $110, spent $35 on a baby mattress, $60 on baby bedding and room decor, and about $45 on clothes and random things like bibs and toys. We have a bunch of other things that were either passed down or gifted to us. We have a stroller, car seat, base for the car seat, two diaper bags, a baby monitor, a bunch of bottles, some sleep sacks, a tummy time mat, baby towels and washclothes, shampoo and soap, a variety of clothes, bibs, random toys, and some blankets. I think we are in pretty good shape. I have my shower in October, and we'll probably get the rest of what we need from that.
I have to admit, it's hard not to go overboard. I love to get things for this baby, and he isn't even here yet. DH has discovered that they make baby clothes with his favorite sports team on it, and he pretty much wants every piece he has seen, LOL. I know I'll only be pregnant with our first child once, so I want us to get to enjoy this time, but within reason.
The things I can think of that I still need:
Pacifiers:$15
2 Waterproof Mattress Cover:$20
Waterproof pads:$20
Sheet for pack and play:$10
Bottle nipples:$15
Burp clothes:$12
Sound machine:$20
Thermometer/Medical Kit:$25
Baby bath tub:$20

Not too bad. We also have a huge box of size 2 diapers and a huge box of size 3 diapers. I found a killer deal on Amazon and got something like 440 diapers for $36. We're getting there!

4 comments:

  1. Yay for baby showers! I am so excited for you :) And I am going to be keeping close tabs on your baby expenses. Hopefully soon I can benefit from that advice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! eBay has been my best friend. I have been able to find cute maternity clothes for great prices, and I have found a lot of affordable things for the baby.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A suggestion I wouldn't buy too many bottles and pacifiers. You never know what baby boy is going to like. I learned that the hard way 6 years ago. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tip Courtney! I think we have about 3-5 bottles in about 5 different types. I know we have the Evenflo kind, a Gerber kind that is supposed to reduce colic, some Avent, some Parent's Choice, and another type of Evenflo bottle that is a different style than the first kind. I am praying baby boy will like at least one type!

    ReplyDelete