Saturday, April 24, 2010

3 Year/5 Year Plan

A few days ago, a couple of my coworkers were talking about their 3 year/5 year plans. One's plan was to get married, lease a new Honda (dumb move IMO), finish graduate school, and save up for a down payment for a home in the next three years. The other guy, who is one of my financial role models, is to close on his and his wife's new forever home (happening next month!), continue investing in taxable accounts and tax deferred accounts to have 150 K by the time he is 30, have a child, and travel more with his wife. This got me thinking about my and my husband's plan.
Here is what I want to accomplish in the next three years (by 2013):
*Pay off all credit card debt.
*Have undergrad and graduate school done.
*Be happily raising our first child.
*Have a six month emergency fund. (around $15K)
*Have our retirement accounts at $50K. (as a side note, we hit the $20K mark Friday!)
*Buy a fishing boat for my DH.
*Be actively saving for our next home.
*Start saving for our child's education.

I think all this can be easily accomplished. Our retirement is on track to hit the $50K mark by 2013 without bumping our contributions up. I intend to increase them anyway, but it is still nice to do know we can do it just with our current saving levels. I just want to continue working towards a financially secure future while still enjoying life.

1 comment:

  1. Hi there future planning. Thank for the comment you put on my blog about our journey to fertility. My personal relationship with Jesus in the SOLE and ONLY reason I was able to reamin strong (although at times I felt anything but). How did you come upon my story and my blog? Great job on the financial stuff and the weight loss!

    ReplyDelete